What can be done if your ex-spouse fails to pay spousal support?

The spouse receiving spousal support (the “obligee”) can seek legal action in which the spouse paying support (the “obligor”) is found in contempt of court. If the court determines that the obligor is in contempt, the court typically gives the obligor an opportunity to comply with the court order and “purge” the contempt. If the obligor does not do so, the court can impose penalties such as jail time or fines. In addition, the court is to assess all court costs arising out of the contempt proceeding against the obligor and require the obligor to pay any reasonable attorney’s fees of the obligee that arose in relation to the act of contempt.

Comments are closed.