Can a child support order ever be changed?

Yes. A child support order is subject to modification until the child is emancipated. “Emancipation” usually occurs when the child is 18 years old and graduated from high school, but there are some exceptions. In order to obtain a modification, one of the parents must show that there has been a change in the circumstances. A change in circumstances typically occurs when a parent experiences an increase or involuntary decrease in income, but a modification will not be ordered unless the change is significant enough to produce at least a 10% change in the amount of the child support order itself.

Comments are closed.